Ukraine derailed the plan to renew disengagement of forces in Donbas

Summary

Ukraine, under the far-fetched pretext of violation of the ceasefire, did not start the practical part of the disengagement [in Petrivske and Zolote].

Ukrainian armed formations derailed the plan on the renewal of disengagement of forces in the Petrovskoye area endorsed by the Contact Group.

Disproof

Pro-Kremlin disinformation narrative blaming Ukraine for the disruption of the agreed disengagement of the troops and hardware in Donbas. It also repeats common disinformation narratives about the war in Ukraine.

On October 7, the Minister for Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Vadym Prystaiko mentioned that the disengagement has been thwarted by ongoing attacks on the areas where the disengagement should have taken place. "To our deep regret, you know that Petrivske and Zolote came under attack several days ago. As you remember, we agreed to begin the disengagement on the seventh day of truce in this area," Prystaiko said at a press-conference.

Ukraine’s Defence Minister Andriy Zahorodniuk mentioned Ukraine’s readiness to withdraw troops from the agreed areas after the shelling stops.

OSCE’s Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine confirmed the ceasefire violations in the Zolote disengagement area on October 5-6 and in Petrivske on October 9.

In accordance with the Trilateral Contact Group Framework Decision the disengagement of forces and hardware begins only after a seven-day ceasefire is achieved and verified by the SMM.

publication/media

  • Reported in: Issue 168
  • DATE OF PUBLICATION: 10/10/2019
  • Language/target audience: English, Russian
  • Country: Ukraine
  • Keywords: Ukraine, Eastern Ukraine, War in Ukraine, Donbas, Minsk agreements
  • Outlet: RG.RU, Donetsk News Agency, South Front, Lug-Info
see more

Ukraine refused to withdraw the troops, so there will be no Normandy format

There will be no Normandy format because the main condition is the withdrawal of troops. Ukraine refused to withdraw the troops.

 

Disproof

Recurring pro-Kremlin disinformation narrative about Ukrainian government sabotaging peace in the Donbas region. See previous cases about the Minsk agreements and the war in Ukraine.

At the moment, neither Ukraine nor the so-called "DPR" and "LNR" withdrew its troops. SMM OSCE in its daily reports noted fewer ceasefire violations in the Donetsk region and more in Luhansk region. For the 10th of October 2019, the Mission observed weapons in violation of withdrawal lines in non-government-controlled areas of Luhansk region.

JIT ignores Russian arguments and data on MH17 downing

JIT ignores Russian arguments and data on MH17 downing.

The JIT accuses Russia of being jointly responsible for the tragedy. The Russian government, which has so far been excluded from the investigation, complains that investigators have ignored Russian arguments and data. For example, the investigation team did not pay any attention to documents proving that the missile hit by Boeing belonged to the Ukrainian army. The experiments of the Russian Almaz-Antey group, which manufactures anti-aircraft equipment, including the Buk systems, were also ignored, confirming that the Buk was fired from the area controlled by the Ukrainian army.

Disproof

A recurring pro-Kremlin narrative on flight MH17 denying Russia's responsibility.

Russia's interest in aiding the JIT investigation is not a relevant condition of its membership in JIT. The crash did not take place over Russian territory and claimed no Russian lives, which precludes any basis for Moscow to be represented in the JIT. Dutch Chief Prosecutor Fred Westerbeke told a Russian newspaper that "if MH17 were shot down over Russia, I would have suggested that Russia be made a member of the JIT group."

European pharmacists can promote cannabis across the continent, allegedly for medical purposes

This week, the European Union literally stunned with more sensational news – they approved treatment with drugs that contain marijuana. They are allowed to be prescribed even for children. From now on, nothing prevents European pharmacists from promoting cannabis across the continent, allegedly for medical purposes. This has already happened in the USA.

Disproof

This is a distortion of the facts. The EU has approved for the first time the use of a medicinal cannabis product aimed ONLY at patients with two rare, but severe, forms of childhood epilepsy. The host of the 5th Russian channel doesn't mention these details. The drug is called Epidyolex and doctors can prescribe it - if they think it will help sufferers.