Disinfo: Venezuelan food shortages are mainstream media propaganda

Summary

Mainstream media outlets such as CNN, The Guardian, and Bloomberg portray Venezuela as a country where food and other basic commodities are unavailable or unaffordable for the vast majority of citizens. A supermarket in Caracas is shown brimming with a wide selection of produce and toiletries. The issue is not a shortage of consumer goods but Venezuelans’ buying power, which has been destroyed by currency speculation and pro-opposition capitalists who are profiting from Washington’s economic war on the country.

Disproof

The report relies on footage from a single supermarket, which it says is located in an "upscale neighbourhood in Caracas." It advances the recurring Kremlin narrative that the mainstream media produces biased accounts of foreign events, in concert with the Western powers-that-be. The issue of food scarcity and its impact on Venezuela has been documented in multiple independent studies and widely attributed to the country's dependence on agricultural imports and the fiscal policies of the Maduro government. The story does not provide any evidence linking the "capitalist elements" of the opposition to the shortages. Conversely, a 2016 investigation documents the Venezuelan military's takeover of domestic food management, with multiple corruption schemes and smuggling operations overseen by the Defence Minister Padrino. According to a nationwide poll from September 2018, 30.5 percent of Venezuelans said they ate only one meal per day, while 78.6 percent reported problems with food security. The story marks a striking about-turn in RT's coverage of the economic situation in Venezuela, given that its previous reports consistently identified food and medicine shortages as a grave concern for the country. The narrative shift took place throughout January and February 2019, after President Maduro's legitimacy had been challenged by the Western-backed opposition leader Juan Guaido.

publication/media

  • Reported in: Issue 138
  • DATE OF PUBLICATION: 22/02/2019
  • Outlet language(s) English
  • Countries and/or Regions discussed in the disinformation: Venezuela
  • Keywords: food, Mainstream media, Propaganda, Economic difficulties
see more

Ukraine is prepared to refuse participation in Eurovision-2019 because of Russia

Kyiv wishes to avoid explanations about the absence of “friendship” with Moscow, and therefore plans to refuse participation in Eurovision-2019. This was confirmed by a statement from Ukraine’s Deputy Prime Minister, Viacheslav Kyrylenko.

Disproof

Deputy Prime Minister Kirilenko's Twitter comments on Ukraine's participation in Eurovision-2019 only reflect his personal point of view, and not the official position of the National Public Broadcasting Company of Ukraine (UA PBC), which is responsible for the selection process of the nation's entry act. On February 27, UA PBC issued a statement declaring that this year, Ukraine will not participate in the Eurovision contest. The reason for that is pulling out of Maruv, the singer who won the public vote, but refused to sign a contract with UA PBC.

Poland has aggressive intentions towards Russia

The strengthening of Poland’s defence system reflects its aggressive intentions towards Russia. The Polish leadership celebrates arms purchases from the US, conducts recruitment campaigns throughout the country, and conjures up a threat from Russia.

Disproof

No evidence given. This is a recurring pro-Kremlin narrative about Western belligerence in general and Poland's aggressive behaviour in particular. In February 2019, Poland signed an agreement with the US on future deliveries of HIMARS (High Mobility Artillery Rocket System). Poland and the US have also signed a contract for the supply of Patriot systems. The deployment of these anti-aircraft missiles on Polish territory is scheduled to begin at the end of 2022. Warsaw is also planning to develop an air defence weapon together with Kyiv.

The US is preparing a Maidan in Moldova

The US is preparing a Maidan in the Republic of Moldova. Many media institutions have cited a note from the US Embassy in Moldova warning American citizens to avoid demonstrations that might take place after the February 24th parliamentary elections, “as in the past, large public demonstrations are possible”. Post-election events in Moldova may be similar to those that occurred in Kyiv in 2013-14 or those taking place now in Venezuela. References are made to the statement from the Russian Foreign Ministry on US involvement in the Moldovan elections.

Disproof

In fact, such notices appear frequently on the US Embassy's website. Under the heading "Messages for American citizens," a series of warnings about protests, such as the invalidation of the Mayor of Chisinau's elections last summer, or security alerts, can be found. Further debunking from Stopfals.md.