The All-Powerful Mr Soros
- Read this article in:
As we have previously reported, NGOs are often targeted in pro-Kremlin disinformation. But sometimes the individuals funding NGOs get targeted too. One person that stands out particularly is Mr George Soros, the founder of the Open Society Foundations that support democracy and human rights in around 100 countries.
Since the Disinformation Review was launched, we have reported about disinformation directed at Mr Soros on numerous occasions. He has, for example, been accused of
- being behind the “Panama papers” leak to attack President Putin (read disinformation article);
- of plotting to destroy every European nation state and flood the continent with refugees (read disinformation article);
- of planning a Russian Maidan (read disinformation article); and a Bulgarian Maidan (read disinformation article) as well as having organised the Ukrainian Maidan (read disinformation article);
- and of having been the mastermind behind the influx of refugees into Europe (read disinformation article).
Pro-Kremlin outlets have, moreover, blamed Mr Soros for
- propagating sexual perversions (read disinformation article);
- for being the “real” legislator in Ukraine (read disinformation article);
- for meddling with democratic elections in Georgia, funding anti-Georgian organisations in Georgia and preparing a coup in the Czech Republic (read disinformation);
- and for abolishing the office of the president in the Czech Republic (read disinformation).
Mr Soros has also been accused of
- trying to manipulate the presidential election in the US last year (read disinformation);
- paying people to demonstrate against the results of the same election (read disinformation);
- and of controlling the US Government and declaring war on Russia (watch disinformation video).
Most recently, disinformation was directed against the Central European University in Budapest, which is funded by Mr Soros. The university and its founder were accused of being “evil Zionists” (original disinformation) and the university also stood accused of preparing its students to be soldiers for the New World Order, and targeting traditional values and nation states (original disinformation).
Not bad for one man. Of course, none of these allegations come with any evidence to support them.